Admitted to ACHS: 1967
Founded at the University of Southern California, 1920
No of Active Chapters: 508
Total Membership: 113000
Annual/current Membership: 4500
Number of Regions: 10
Publications: Sociological Inquiry AKD Newsletter
PURPOSE: The name implies social research for the purpose of service. It is a non-secret, democratic, international, sociology honor society.
ELIGIBILITY: Undergraduate: Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution. Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution. Shall rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship. If class rank is not readily available to a chapter representative, in lieu of class rank, students shall have accumulated the equivalent of an overall grade point average of at least 3.3 by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 grade point average in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation. Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology at the host institution prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
Graduates: For students classified as graduate students (those officially admitted to graduate study in sociology at the host institution), the following specific requirements must have been met prior to the time of initiation: completion of one half year of graduate study in sociology (i.e., one semester or two quarters or the equivalent academic unit) with a graduate GPA of B or better, and continued matriculation in a program of study leading toward a graduate degree in sociology at the host institution.
Staff Members: For staff members of the host institution, formal conferral of the Ph.D. in sociology or employment as a sociologist are required prior to initiation, provided they meet the other requirements set forth above.
Barring unusual circumstances, graduate students are eligible for membership in Alpha Kappa Delta. Election to Alpha Kappa Delta shall be without regard to race, creed, or national origin.
- Each initiate receives a certificate of membership and a membership card which show evidence of membership.
- Members who submit completed activation forms receive a free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of Alpha Kappa Delta.
- Active members have access to the AKD Newsletter, election materials, and other services.
- Sponsors undergraduate and graduate student paper competitions for members with cash prizes and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting. Undergraduate students have the chance to participate in ASA Honors Program. First place winners are eligible to have their papers published in Sociological Inquiry.
- Provides funding for student travel to present at regional sociological meetings.
- Provides Chapter Representative travel to assist students presenting at regional sociological meetings.
- Provides a Speaker Initiation Grant to bring speakers to induction ceremonies
- Provides funds for a research symposia or workshop.
- Sponsors a Distinguished Lecture series at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
- Contributes $18,000 annually to the American Sociological Association Minority Fellowship Program.
- Members may purchase honor cords to wear at graduation ceremonies, AKD pins, and other merchandise.
- Alpha Kappa Delta members who become Civil Service employees meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay
- grade) if they list AKD membership on their applications (providing they enter at the GS
- 5 level).
- Sponsors five people to attend AKD's Symposium on Teaching and Learning held at regional meetings (AKD Symposium on T&L rotates regional meetings each year)
- Membership is for a lifetime.
OFFICIAL CONTACT: Bethany Titus, Executive Director, LeMoyne College, 1419 Salt Springs Rd., Syracuse, NY 13214-1399
Tel: (315) 445-5452 Fax: (315) 445-6029
Email: [email protected] Website: www.AlphaKappaDelta.org